Saturday 9 May 2015

This is a Post Title

My feelings on the election can be mostly summed up as "doom, death, desolation". I didn't in my wildest dreams think the Tories would get a majority. I suppose worst-case scenario, I get a TEFL certificate and fuck off for a few years until there's a government change, although with the gains the SNP made I might not have the same country to come back to. It's a mess.

So instead I will offload the links I've had open in my browser tabs for a while, both so I can have a record of them and so you can maybe enjoy them.

  • Travels in Siberia - one of my friends linked this on Facebook. It's the account of one American man's trip across Siberia, and although I haven't yet read it she said it was an excellent piece of travel writing.
  • The Next Christianity - informative and terrifying, on the growing divide between Christian belief in the West and in the global South.
  • Footnotes in History: Being Anglo-Indian - this article makes me so, so sad. My mother's family is Anglo-Indian and although as a British woman with a father from Yorkshire I can't, in good faith, call myself a true Anglo-Indian, that culture and history has been part of my life since I was very young. And it makes me sad, and somewhat guilty, to be part of the reason why this group barely exists any more.
  • The Ancient Ghost City of Ani - gorgeous photos of churches from the city of Ani on the Turkish-Armenian border.
  • In Pictures: Yugo-Nostalgists Mark Tito Anniversary - I've been to Tito's grave! And now you too can be there in spirit, and see the mostly old people who remember fondly the days of bratstvo i jedinstvo.
  • Я паркуюсь как сел - Kazakh website documenting the shitty parking skills of the good people of Kazakhstan. I hope you appreciate the effort I went through to type this text in Cyrillic.
  • Swedish policeman dancing - I am so confused yet charmed.

1 comment:

  1. Loved going through some of your links - and was quite surprised to see the one of the Yugo-Nostalgic...

    ReplyDelete