Thursday 7 May 2015

And Life Goes On...

Since I last posted, I've come back to university, and promptly not done most of my work for the past week and a half. I didn't have to hand in any essays until comparatively late, and without that initial jolt when you sit down to write your first essay of the term it's hard to get back into the swing of things. But next week I might actually go to my lectures (ha... ha...).

I voted! And want to curl up in despair. It's inevitably going to be another hung parliament, and the results are even more uncertain than last time, so who knows how long it'll take to get a parliament together. The act of voting was, as with most "adult" things, suitably anticlimatic. It was identical procedure to when I voted in the European elections, so. Soon the tortuous waiting starts, and I pray for five years of Milliband, because fuck Cameron.

After the gale-force wind of the last three days, in which I greatly suffered riding my bike directly into the wind, it was rather sunny today, and typically I didn't have enough time to wander around Oxford in the sun, although it did remind me of how much I love my city. However! There was a Jewish fair in Broad Street for Lag B'Omer, and at one of the stalls you could make challah for 50p. When I was young my parents sometimes bought challah from the bakery for a special treat (I might as well mention now that I'm not Jewish in any way, I just really love challah), but I haven't eaten it for years. So I made some there - and got praised on my plaiting skills! It didn't survive the cycle home too well...


...Yeah. But I managed to sort-of straighten it out on the baking tray, and it came out looking all right! The plaits got lost as it rose, which is a shame, but while it's not the best bread in the world, it's recognisably challah. I was given a recipe, so maybe I'll try again once I'm back in Devon (no point baking here; I have none of the implements or ingredients). Hooray for challah!




I'm now off to the pub to meet up with the fellow Oxford interns for my summer internship in the US (!!!). Hopefully I will recognise them from their Facebook profiles, because I've never actually met any of them before.

No comments:

Post a Comment