Friday 13 November 2015

Update

Good Lord, it's been a while. I blame univeristy. Meanwhile, here's a selection of what I've been up to:

  • Saw a rowboat burned because my college did well in the boat race. There was white wine and a lot of smoke. 
  • Messed around in Christ Church and took goofy photos with my friends. Christ Church is definitely the grandest Oxford college and is known colloquially as "the Harry Potter college", since a lot of HP scenes were filmed there for the series.
  • Went to a 90's themed party. Since I am terrible at costumes and only had half an hour to make mine, I went as the dissolution of the USSR. I did this by making a sign that I stuck to my front with the hammer and sickle drawn on it, and "USSR" in big letter with a crossing-out. I also stuck red stars to my shoulders. Funnily enough (or maybe not so funnily, my college leans heavily left-wing) people loved my minimal-effort costume. After that I went clubbing (fun!) and after leaving at 4 a.m. we got burgers from a kebab van where the owner asked me if I was Pakistani... ???? (I mean, my grandfather is from Peshawar and that side of the family is Anglo-Indian so it's not a totally unfounded assumption, but I didn't think it really showed, at all.)
  • Saw a friend who came back to Oxford for her graduation ceremony and ate delicious Lebanese food at Elham's Lebanese Deli, which I recommend for anyone ever visiting Oxford. Yummy, nice place, and you get a DIY plate for £5. 
  • Watched the production of Pentecost that was running at the Oxford Playhouse. I really liked it - the cast was good and the set was fantastic - although I got severe genre whiplash when it changed from a discussion about the nature of art and history in society in the first half, to a hostage drama in the second half. Still a very enjoyable play, and OH MY GOD THE CLIMAX WHAT WHAT.
  • Fallen in love with Oxford's second-hand bookshops. You can often tell what bookshops former students offload their old books to - at the Oxfam Bookshop on St Giles I found a Syriac primer in the Foreign Languages section which can only have come from a Byzantinist - but I love them so much. There's so much variety! From Oxford second-hand bookshops I have so far this term acquired: Persepolis, The Dumas Club, Mr Fox, An Instance of the Fingerpost, Select Letters of Cicero (for my course, not my own pleasure...), The Seville Communion, Penguin Lost, Turkish Gambit, Seeking Whom He May Devour. Also Sarajevo Rose: A Balkan Jewish Notebook and Virginia Woolf's Orlando from the discount store.
  • Read so many books about Alexander the Great and his Successors and decided to root for Seleucus. I'm not sure why.

I would say I'll be back with regularity, but Oxford is nuts and I never have any time - and it's finals this year, which makes everything a million times worse. I do like Oxford and I'm glad I study here, but in a lot of ways I'll be glad when it is over. If nothing else, working my first 9 to 5 will be a piece of cake after this.



No comments:

Post a Comment